|Magnetic Resonance Imaging, MRI, is a relatively new imaging technique used in the evaluation of the breast. Its uses include:|
- evaluating breast implants
- determining multifocality of breast cancer
- determining the response of a tumor to chemotherapy
- determining the extent of the cancer
- evaluating occult primary tumors in patients with axillary lymph node metastases, (a component of breast cancer screening in very high risk patients), and
- evaluating suspicious clinical findings or imaging results after complete mammographic and sonographic tests have been performed.
MRI guided breast biopsies have become increasingly important as more and more lesions are only seen on MRI.